Thread: Z3 Roadster (E36/7) Exhaust?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
Sorry if my post was not clear. The Magnaflow I was referring to was just a muffler http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1481.../dp/B000CC9CDM

That was my question... What makes an axle-back/cat-back system so much better that it justifies the $800 price tag over just having a shop weld in a properly sized muffler for a total of $300? Do they sound better, do they add more horsepower, or is it just a "cleaner" install?
I think my post answered those questions, except I didn't know about the 14815. The Magnaflow 14815 is a universal muffler around which must be fabricated the rest of an axle back system. The labor and material will be expensive, the fit and quality of workmanship will depend on the skill of the muffler shop, and the sound will likely be generic, deep, loud and constant without variation.

The Magnaflow axle back system that I found is $628 rather than $800. It should be better made than a muffler shop's 14815 system, bolt right on, fit better, and might sound better if Magnaflow tuned the muffler for the six.

But it may not sound as good as a Supersprint whose sound on my 1.9L is fascinating, disappearing and coming back, changing completely from a bark to a growl to reedy whisper to a howl with different rpms and load, but never loud.

You should print a picture of the 14815, take it to a muffler shop, and listen to what they will do and charge. A good custom shop will probably have the 14815 in stock and want you to buy it from them.

Last edited by vintage42; 12-28-2012 at 03:02 PM.