View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Now you need to figure out if you have an AGM battery or not. Someone said the white ones (like mine) are regular and AGM are black - I have not verified that.

When/ if you recondition it's best to totally disconnect the battery are reconditioning pushes the voltage very high and could damage/ shorten the life of other components.

For regular charging use the crocodile clips to the posts on the bonnet. Battery is in the back on the right - needs about three trim pieces removing to access. OEM batteries range from 70->90Ah; any will charge in a day with the 7 Amps from a CTEK 7002.
Just wanted to follow up here.

Had my SA look at the part number and it wasn't an AGM that they put in. He said he's only ever seen the part number suffix that indicates an AGM type battery on cars like the 650i maybe? So it's a regular type battery they put in our E9x's. Cold out so still using snowflake/AGM mode but will switch to regular mode when it warms up.

I can tell the difference between a fully charged and a weaker battery by the servo motor to pop the trunk. It's noticeably faster and higher pitched after fully charging the battery! It's slower and lower pitched when the battery is lower. I should dig out my old multimeter and put it across the jumpstart hookups in the engine bay so I have something a little bit more scientific.

more pics here