View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooledsouth View Post
The dealership called and said that the clutch was in pieces! Really? I didn't even drive it hard for the 24 hours I owned it so I guess bad timing from previous owner beating on it. I'm stopping by tomorrow without asking and seeing if the tranny is really pulled of if they're just trying to bend me over. And now he is saying that the flywheel is able to be resurfused when at first he said it couldn't be. To many fishy things going on with this.
If the PO really beat on the clutch, ran it hot, burned it or wore out the lining, then the flywheel would be completely spent and need to be replaced. If the pressure plate self destructed on its own because of a manufacturing defect then the flywheel is likely to be in good shape and can probably be left as is.
If I'm not mistaken, BMW explicitly says that dual mass flywheels should never be resurfaced. Due to the nature of their design it is impossible to control the runout while resurfacing and clutch chatter, judder, etc. will likely happen after the new clutch is installed.

I would highly recommend taking a look at the parts yourself and see if there's any evidence of the PO driving it hard (glazed or excessively worn lining, burnt or scorched pressure plate and/or flywheel). If it looks like the springs in the pressure plate just exploded, then it's likely no fault of anyone who's driven the car, just bad luck.