View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328is
Starting Issues - Heelp!

Hello All,

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I am starting to have some issues with my BMW 328, car won't start easily. I went to Advance Auto and did a a battery check - it was pretty good said the tech. Symptoms:

1) Upon turning the key, it just makes a whirring sound. Then I have to take it back to the original key position and depress the clutch and attempt another start. This video is a very similar except for the fact that I can keep cranking it without going back to original key position and depressing the clutch.

2) After 2 or 3 or more attempts, it might catch and the motor starts as soon as I turn the key .

What is the likely problem?

Starter? I hope not, seems like a very expensive fix and just when I was about to get a suspension refresh too

Clutch Pedal Switch? Where is it and what might it cost to replace it?

Crankshaft position sensor - no fault code that I can see though.

Fuel related? Unlikely I think because I just did the sparks about a couple of months ago (and the old ones were pretty OK, no oil leaks in the cylinders that I could see). I think the fuel filter too was replaced a year ago but am not sure. Could a bad fuel filter cause this?

Last edited by bmw_novice; 12-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Advertisement