View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I bought my X3 new in 2008. Because this is Greece, and everything is different in Greece, they add a sliding scale luxury tax to all cars over 1600cc. I bought a fairly basic 2.0 diesel with halogens - a must in my opinion - and the Panoramic glass roof. The seats / interior are vinyl / leatherette and whilst not leather they work well here in a hot summer climate, wet winter climate. The car cost 58,000 (48,000 or $79,000). In othe words, you don't really want to buy a car here in Greece but import one from say Germany and they either slap a huge (and illegal import tax on it) or confiscate it if they catch you driving it after 6 months in the country.

Anyway, I hated the steering wheel that came with the basic model and a year or so ago found a near perfect M Sport leather steering wheel on eBay for 177 ($285). I took it to the local BMW dealer and asked how much for the corresponding airbag. They casually told me it would cost 850 (1112) for the correct airbag. They also refused to give me the correct airbag serial number! After much hunting, I recently found a second hand airbag in England for 240 ($384) and a few weeks ago the BMW folk fitted it for free - 5 minute job.

I only mention all of the above because the M steering wheel gives the car a totally different and far better driving experience.

TD.

Last edited by topdriller; 12-30-2012 at 04:34 AM.