Thread: Z3 Roadster (E36/7) Going through gas way to fast.
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Hi Vintage, Sorry if my second statement didn't register, I was referring to the gas "Blend" that different states use. I live in AZ and have been told by friends in the industry that for example our neighbor California uses very different gas blends than we do.
I assume that this also applies to premium because my friends have large engines and need the high quality gas to prevent detonation or pinging.

It is nice to have a gas that will give a little more when we want to have some fun, I do agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
The second sentence does not make sense ;-) because premium is going to be the same in any state.

If an engine can take advantage of 93 octane, it will perform better than on lower octane. Performance includes more power from the same amount of gas, which translates to mileage. But the increase in mileage is very small.

Edit: I did some rough math comparing 87 and 93, assuming 93 was 20 cents and 1 mpg more. Ten gallons of 93 will go 10 more miles at a cost of $2.00 more. So it's about a wash on cost, while the 93 will make max power and fun.