Thread: 5.0 Msport
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
What exactly happens to the suspension when you put the shift lever over to the left and it goes into DS

Does it adjust the suspension as well making it stiffer?

Is the exhaust a bit louder/throatier in the Msport model compared to the sport activity?

Thanks i advance Rob
Dropping the shifter to the left just changes the shift points. There's a button on the console beneath the shifter labeled "Sport" that tightens the suspension.

On a 2013, M Sport package is all cosmetic. M Performance package tweaks the engine for 40 more hp and (I think) 25 lb-ft more torque. There are no published numbers that I could find for what that does either for 0-60 times or fuel economy. As to the former, I'd guess it shaves a few tenths, putting it right at the 5 second mark. As to the latter, my real-world experience suggests I'm getting around 15 mpg, mostly city. Not great, but I'd power my car with the blood of baby seals if I could. We don't buy these cars to be fuel efficient or green.

BTW, when I was shopping, I found that most CAs had no clue there were two different M packages. No less than 4 told me it was all cosmetic, and that I must be confused with the X5M. Needless to say, those 4 didn't sell me a car.

I can try a video a little later if you'd like to hear the sound of M performance.