View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
As I was trying to point out, modern cars are very different than cars 15-20 years ago. BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota... all very simple 20 years ago...all very complex today. All remarkably similar in architecture. (Afterall, these systems have become industrial standards, and all OEMs make modules for all OEs...) Different marques have different names and conventions for all this stuff, but very similar.

The increasing use of power and communication buses, with 'intelligent' modules hanging on the bus ready to wake up, respond, send power, do things with other modules, makes the old trouble shooting techniques of 'just check for power and ground at the connector' a thing of the past.

Id try and get a harness diagram and electrical schematic. Find every module that was under water, open every connector that was under water. Clean every connection. If a module was under water, determine what it does. Open it. See if there are any open contacts they were damaged or obvious shorts... consider replacing it.

All before putting in a new battery/powering anything.

I'd also think about powering up things in a limited way- HOWEVER, without a really good knowledge of the BMW software and access to the programming computer, you may find that this will create errors and maybe lock some things down. As I understand it, the Kbus needs to be 100%, the ibus in optional (entertainment, etc) and you can run without things working there.

Here is the question: When will you apply power to the whole car? The proverbial 'give it a whirl'? Best case, the car fires up with zero issues. Second best case, it doesnt start because you missed something dead. One possible bad case: you fry the EWS/DME/Key reader as soon as the key hits position 1, and there goes $6500.....

Having said all that, it sure will be sweet if you replace the fuse box and thats all it ever needs!

A