Thread: E93 Rain Drains
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Carefully
E93 Rain Drains

Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (2) (Medium).JPG
Views:	2495
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	355264   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (3) (Medium).JPG
Views:	1231
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	355265   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (6) (Medium).JPG
Views:	1809
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	355266   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (14) (Medium).JPG
Views:	1267
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	355267  

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 12-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Advertisement