Thread: Eeeewww!
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Update:

A couple weeks ago I developed a huge coolant leak somewhere underneath the intake. Had to pull the intake off to find it.

Turns out the heater hose that connects to the rear of the head was split wide open were it connects. Let this be a lesson to all.... don't be cheap or lazy when you have all that stuff off. The only hoses I replaced during rebuild were the two front ones that you have to pull for the radiator. All of the hoses going into the firewall, AND the one coming from the coolant reservoir to the pipe underneath the intake were more than likely factory. That is 16 years old, folks. This car was built in 6/06.

Ordered new ones, replaced all, along with most of the clamps. While I was under there, I noticed that pretty much all of the injector pintle caps (tips) were broken, chipped off, or not there. Bought a kit on Ebay and replaced not only the pintle caps, but also the filter screens.

Other than that, and reseating the VANOS properly back in April, a new water pump and t-stat, restoring and installing leather seats salvaged out of a 98 5'er, this car runs like a finely tuned BMW should run. No codes, no hiccups, no strange engine issues at all other than a slow electrical leak from somewhere (Has been going on for years) that I have to track down. It likes to kill my battery. Course, it could be the battery itself or the alternator. Both easy fixes.

Will probably replace all of my belt tensioners as I believe one of them is making a bit of noise. Can't figure out which one, so they all get replaced.