View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530
Stealer story - nice one for a change

Early morning commute in a snow storm this Thursday and I hit a pretty large snow bank left by a snow plow doing a road crossing the street I was using. Those of you in the rust belt will know what I mean. Saw it at the last moment but still went through it at about 20 mph.

Phew! no damage to the bumper, lower grill or fog lights but the rubber/plastic air dam under the bumper and the two aero/mud flaps in front of both front wheels (the ones that incorporate the brake air ducts and the front section of the wheel well liner) were done for.

First thought was to check out a couple of wreckers but I went to my local dealer first to get a price benchmark. I was expecting the usual "made from platinum" price but the cost for all three parts was a little over $100 including all fasteners and they gave me a 20% discount because I had originally bought the car from them. Not cheap at $80 but pretty reasonable and I probably couldn't get the parts very much cheaper at a wreckers, assuming I could find everything I needed.

I usually ignore the dealer as a source for parts whenever possible but I'll be pricing most things there (at least as a check) from now on.
Advertisement