Thread: E93 Rain Drains
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.
That is an interesting idea. I was wondering how to apply Gummi upside down. Out of curiosity, what width paint brush are you using? If I understand your technique, you are basically 'painting' the seal with Gummi, using the paint brush?