View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You're confusing the Audi group (Audi, Lamborghini, Ducati) with VAG group (all the brands)

Comparing the Touareg's hybrid system to the SHAWD hybrid system is poor because one is a full mechnanical system, whereas the Acura system is essentially FWD with electric motors on the back wheels. (Lexus and Toyota do this exact same thing in the RX450h and Highlander Hybrid).
That is true of the SH-SH-AWD system that is upcoming in the RLX and the MDX, but the current SH-AWD does not have motors driving any wheels. It is a mechanical differential that will over drive either rear wheel.

It is FWD biased though. I don't recall the the exact percentage, but the torque distribution was something like 60/40 front/rear during normal driving, with the ability to shift as much as 100% in either direction depending on traction needs.

I believe with RWD biased systems like those on the BMW are the other way around.

*** edit ***

I just reread your post and I see you qualified it as the Hybrid SH-AWD system.

Last edited by GoHawks63; 12-31-2012 at 07:52 AM.