View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Like a previous poster I am also new to BMW. The X5 is my wife's daily driver prior to that she has had a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser and a couple of Nissan Pathfinders. I have been driving Acuras for close to 20 years before making a jump to a 2012 CTS Coupe thise year.

My uncle is a mechanic who owns his own shop and I grew up working on cars, so tend to know my way around cars. At one point in my early college years I though I was also going to stay in the business until I got serious about school, got a degree and worked my way up in the corporate world.

My uncle and cousins see cars well out of warranty and they will tell you that from a reliability standpoint, nothing will ever beat Hondas or Toyotas. Of course everyone has their story of their Ford Pickup or their BMW with well into six digits on the odometer, but as a whole and based on what they see everyday they feel that nothing will beat those two Japanese brands from a reliability standpoint. As for my personal experience, the two Toyota Land Cruisers we owned were bullt proof. Not the most gratifying driving experiences, but rock solid from a reliability perspective. My Acuras were also generally solid with an occasional issue here or there over the years, but minor enough that I stayed with the brand over the years.

When it came to buying the X5, my cousin told me that nothing drives like a BMW, but God help you if you ever have to pay for repairs out of your own pocket. We bought anyway figuring we have a warranty and if the vehicle seems problematic, we will dump it before the warranty expires.

Having said all that, I will say that I really do enjoy driving the X5. I am impressed with the driving dynamics and I can see why people gravitate to them. Now since I haven't experienced any issues yet,I haven't been tainted by quality and reliability issues. If and when that does creep up, we'll see if I am still as high on the vehicle as I am now.

Last edited by GoHawks63; 12-31-2012 at 10:57 AM.