View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORDO View Post

Is it OK to fit a diesel chip to improve fuel consumption.

Blessings
It is but please do not. Get an ECU re-map instead. Much better. I could get long winded on this but having been there and done that (tuning box for 20k then ECU remap for 40k) the ECU re-map is better, much better IMO.

oh one extra point. The tuning box will give apparent gains in economy but in fact it is cheating. The ECU thinks it is delivering x amount of fuel, the tuning box adds more that the ECU is unaware of. The ECU only records what it "thinks" it has used. End result is understating of fuel consumption when the tuning box is used. e.g. I would get 6.5ltr per 100km on the highway with the tuning box where in fact with the stock X3 I get 7.0ltr per 100km and with the ECU remap 7.5 per the ECU or rather the on board computer. The 7.0 and 7.5 are accurate, the 6.5 was incorrect as a simple distance measurement on full tank will tell you. So I lose economy (a tad) but the power and torque gains more than make up for this in grin factor.

Last edited by x3oiler; 01-01-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: One point missed - added response.