View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Just for the record, by now, most topics are represented in the bestlinks, so what I've been doing strategically, to maintain the links with new information, is:
a) I choose one thread on bimmerfest to be 'canonical' (this is a subjective decision which is not infallible)
b) The reason the canonical thread must be on bimmerfest, is so that we can cross reference to all the other existing threads
c) If the canonical thread is not on Bimmerfest, then I CREATE a thread on bimmerfest, referencing the canonical thread elsewhere <=== in practice, this rarely happens simply because Bimmerfest has most topics covered by now
d) In addition, as new information comes in, I cross reference BACK to that canonical thread.
e) I make sure, at least in the canonical thread, that all links (e.g., to Ebay or Amazon) have persistent SCREENSHOTS
f) So, that way, at least that one thread references all other threads, and the important things are captured for posterity.
g) In the event that the one thread wasn't the BEST, it soon becomes so, simply because it has everything easily linked to it.
h) In general, that canonical thread is the FIRST in the list of references in the bestlinks (e.g., - How to do blah blah blah (1) (2) (3) <=== The canonical thread is (1)).

Note: In the past, when new links came about after the 60-day editing period expired for a post on the bestlinks, I merely reproduced the reference with new numbers [e.g., the reference grew from "- How to do blah (1) (2) (3)" to "- How do do blah (1) (2) (3) (4) (4) (6)"]; but repeating links grew too repetitive and cumbersome over time - so that's why I implemented the new system described above, which eliminates the need for new links.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.