View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
I don't believe in the 15-6K intervals either and have been changing it around 8500 miles. Still wondering if the lack of a dipstick tube to become clogged will help prevent the problem somewhat.
Is it the dipstick tube becoming clogged the problem or is it the CCV which drain the oil back into the oil pan via the dipstick tube the problem? I see the yellow crude on my oil cap, but no yellow crude on my dipstick when I go to check the oil level. My Porsche 911 has the yellow crude on the oil cap and I never had any problem with it, but then I don't drive the Porsche in the winter.

BMW maintenance schedule is just a joke. They quote long mileage between oil changes because for the first 50,000 mile to the original owner, the maintenance is free. If BMW only have to change the oil 3 times versus 6 times, they cut their cost by 50%. Same with their life time transmission fluid. If they follow the transmission manufacturers (ZF or GM) recommendation for fluid change they will have to change the ATF 1 time within that 50,000 free maintenance period. By saying the ATF is life time they just cut their cost on the ATF maintenance by 100%. BMW is just hoping that the trans will crap out after the 50,000 miles warranty period and not before.

If you can get a decent extended warranty for these cars I would advise getting it.