View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I'd like to see them bring over the N57S. It would be interesting if they did make another V8 D though, something to compete with the Audi 4.2 TDI, although the N57S is pretty close already.
If I recall reading on this forum, the sulfur content in the US diesel is still too high. In addition, our emission standard for diesel is the same as gasoline. These two combined makes diesel engine with high output a mighty technical challenge vs. Europe. I have a feeling the new diesel is not going to break ground in hp and torque, but focuses more on efficiency and refinement (like idle noise.) I would like to see flatter torque curve though.

I believe we will see a hybrid system in next X5. I may not be the first year introduction. It may be a later year. That is because US's hybrid sells fairly well and we are very similar to the Chinese market. BMW did not just change partner from GM to Toyota for no reason on the hybrid system. Like it or not, synergy drive tweaked by BMW is will be here. It is just a matter of time.