View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Ex SCCA Racer

Mein Auto: 2013 Prius v Five
on the cusp: which wheels to buy?

I am just like OP. I have a 2010i x with M package. Need winter wheels.
Was thinking I would buy 245/40R18 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's and the wife insists I buy BMW wheels for these winter tires.

Car has the 350m wheels. I believe all four wheels are 8"x18" with 30mm ET.

Being an ex-road racer and now track day guy (in a high HP STi), I am always interested in better performance. However, I must keep any performance upgrades of the Bimmer from the wife... It's "her car". It's also our road car.

Here's my plan and where I need help:
From what http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=223254 suggested, I could run wider /bigger wheels on the rear of my X? If there's nothing wrong with this (and I can't see why not), then I will buy a set of BMW wheels that will go with the car, but be bigger in the rear like the 9" width #36117842651. I see that these have a 44mm offset. That's 1mm further out. I'd like to go more.
Are there others that look really good that would be as good a choice and have less offset and be wider rims? They don't have to be 350M's, but they have to look as good. I like the slender spoke effect and more than four spokes.

Then I take wheels, tires and car to the tire shop and put the snow tires on the stock, 8x18 rims. Bigger wheels and/or less offset wheels will be for the summer, high-performance tires.
Ideas? Within reason, what will fit?

Look at that S car go! Before the M3... before the STi.

Last edited by Scargo; 01-02-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: corrected errors