View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Are you replacing the 6er as a "time to upgrade" and want AWD as a must-have, or do you still like the 6 but and want to replace it because you feel the 6er won't be able to handle the winter conditions on the new commute?

If you are staying in the city then personally I find RWD plus good snows are fine in the winter especially on highways and major roads that never see deep snow. The only winter obstacle for the 6er is deep snow which is a problem with all low cars (includes all cars on your short list). When the bottom of the car is tobogganing on deep snow or the front lip is plowing then you going to have issues, even in an AWD Audi.

If you really want good snow performance I would put snow tires on the 6 and buy a cheap AWD truck for days when the roads are not clear. Best of both worlds. When driving on uncleared roads I am more worried about getting hit by other drivers than getting stuck or losing control. I don't know about you guys, but I have seen a dramatic drop in winter driver skills over the last 10 years or so. Driving an AWD truck will work much better in the snow than any car and you won't be too upset if someone smacks into you during a snowstorm. When the roads are dry just use the 6er.

If you have to stick to one car from your list I would go for the S5. Best looking by far and fast. A few other ideas: S4, older 911 C4S, a new G37x, X6 M (an acquired taste). Just keep in mind you are looking switch to a newer car with very little cash outlay so this equates to a car lower on the food chain.

Another thing to consider is a winter driving school. Very fun and I guarantee you will learn a lot and be much much safer in bad conditions.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.