View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
My X1 is still a few weeks away (en route to the Panama Canal at the moment). I did do some driving in our 128i and my parents' F30 328i (xLine with everything on it).

The 128i and the 328i are both noticeably more responsive and peppier in DS/Sport mode. However, the lag in Drive/Comfort does serve a purpose. In these vehicles, the drive is a bit smoother and perhaps more luxurious in Drive/Comfort, DS/Sport can be a bit too sporty/responsive for normal driving. ECO PRO is just too numb for my taste and makes the car feel like a base model Camry. I'm driving my S2000 until the X1 gets here and I have come to appreciate Drive/Comfort for long commutes.

When using paddles in D/Drive in the 128i, you still get the delayed throttle response vs DS. I use the paddles mostly for passing on the freeway. The auto does a great job on its own in DS mode when needed. I may just start using DS instead of paddles like my wife does. The downside of DS is that it never shifts into overdrive (6th) on the 128i. I'm not sure how it behaves on the 8AT but I'm sure it keeps gearing low and revs high just like the 6AT.

My parents like the luxurious feel and would rather mash on the gas for power than use sport mode (they don't have paddles). They drive mostly in ECO PRO to conserve fuel. I showed them how to quickly move into DS and back when they need responsiveness for a moment. They also like the light steering while I prefer the stiffer steering of Sport mode. With DS they keep the lighter steering vs moving to sport mode with the rocker switch. The F30 is a bit different than the X1 in this regard, which of course doesn't offer adaptive sport steering and suspension. If it did, I would have chosen the sDrive over xDrive.

Last edited by nospam; 01-03-2013 at 10:30 PM.