View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
What is interesting to me is that this has more or less always been the case, yet those tiny, sub-compact, and harsh riding cars have sold very well. That's because the badge is almighty.

I have to note though that the old BMWs (E36 and E39) I have driven or sat in as a passenger always felt firm but very supple and smooth. I have never been inside an E90 while moving, so I don't know what people are describing as harsh. Is the the sport suspension, the older RFTs, or a combination? I assume the latter.
Suspension technology has come a long way in the last few years so while harsh riding cars may have been an acceptable trade off a few years ago that is no longer the case.

IMO the "harshness" of the E9x (at least with the sport suspension) was a combination of the RFTs and poorly calibrated shocks. As I have posted here before replacing the RFTs and installing Koni FSD shocks solved the problem. The car still has a firm ride (which is fine with me) but it is no longer harsh, does not crash over road imperfections and I have not experienced a "Pothole Explosion" since I made the modifications. If the car has left the factory in the state it is in now I would have had no complaints about the suspension.

When I bought new tires for the E93 last summer (I bought Conti DWS) I was very tempted to go with the latest generation RFTs but I had been burned so badly by the crap Bridgestones that came on the car I decided against it.

The 750 has RFTs and I have no issues with them on that car but the setup on my 2007 335i was definitely not ready for prime time.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-04-2013 at 06:32 PM.