Thread: Paddle Shifter
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Paddle Shifter

I posted this question before but I think it was in the wrong forum, hope I get a few replies this time.
On my 2004 645ci with steptronic , I like to replace my existing steering wheel with one that has the paddle shifters, what has to be done to make the shifters work or can it be done at all?
I have found some info about retrofitting a 5 series with paddle shifters. I also called the dealer they told me that they had this request before and the dealer contacted BMW to find out if it can be done but the dealer was told it would not work, well, it may work but it is just too much to change and the dealer and BMW do not recommend this.
Now here is what I was thinking, maybe I'm way off but wouldn't it be possible to just run some wires from the + and - side of the shifter in the center console and run them up to the + and - at the paddles. I wouldn't mind disconnecting the up and down function at the center console and do the shifting exclusively at the steering wheel. I would have to select the manual mode at the center console shifter and then use the paddles at the steering wheel.
Advertisement