View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
The problem I have is that Ford and GM does it better in reliability than BMW now. That was not the case before. Both companies have progressed in reliability where as BMW has went the other way. A recent example is Mercedes's quality rating. It has been improving ever since Mercedes return their focus on their car instead of Chrysler. It is never a good sign when automakers spend so much on in warranty repairs. It is to their financial interest to make sure that does not happen.

Reliability takes time and engineering resource. It takes commitment toward quality standard in addition to performance engineering. BMW should do better.

Then again, BMW X5 35D is now rated as average reliability base on Consumer Reports. I know there are those that blast them. I will take average as a good sign to come.

Just a joke here, but honestly with the amount and age of tech that mercedes is putting into their vehicles currently or lack thereof if Mercedes still has a lingering reliability issue then....

The X5 in its current specs worries me in the future.

Yes diesel is average vs petrol (im guessing is below)

The problem I have is that with both of the models:

Petrol:
8 speed transmission is relatively immature tech.
N55 after warranty
electronics modules a plenty
pano roof

Diesel:
Emissions
electronic modules a plenty
Pano Roof
M57 engines seem to have some weak spots (the flap issue)

For the long-term out of warranty owner: The X5 is quite a troublesome creature.

The powertrain, its respective "e-brains", interior bits and emissions really are terrible.
If you plan to own the E70 out of warranty

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!