View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
In college I took a senior level history course called The Automobile in American History. Loved that course. Reviving the LaSalle name wouldn't have worked for Cadillac/GM. It may have had a positive effect on post-war Cadillac products, but the name became equated with a brand failure. That would be bad for those who made the connection and on the flipside would be those for whom the name had no meaning due to no brand recognition. Reminds me of Ford's attempt to revive the name 500. It had meaning for them, but no more public brand recognition. They, of course, quickly renamed it the Taurus.

The problem with this latest attempt from Lexus is that they've created more of a "boy racer", "Japanese ricer" look to those cars.

I mentioned this in another post - BMW is suffering some now from their own innovation and success. Driving performance, handling, and dynamics technology is reaching its limit and now economies of scale are allowing everyone and their grandmother to have what used to be high-end technology. And then electronic/computer technology is so prolific everyone can have it and it's hard to keep up with all the advancements.

Then there's all the changing propulsion system possibilities.

It's a brave, new automotive world automakers are facing.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-04-2013 at 09:28 PM.