View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325ic, 04 x5 3.0
new e30 first timer

So I recently accepted a new job in utah, and finally decided it was time to get started on my life long dream of rebuilding an e30 (I am 25 and married without kids, so I decided that now it was now or never.) I got extremely lucky and just picked up a 1990 bmw 325ic 5speed still running with no rust for 600! ( although it does come with all of the quarks of a $600 dollar 22 year old car) I will be using it as a DD for the rest of winter months, at the end of which it will be going in the garage for a complete teardown.
As I said it does run, however I never said it ran WELL, lol. There a couple things that I need to fix now so I dont crash or ruin the car before the real fun can start. The biggest issue right now is the door locks, the passenger lock went down but now I have no idea how to get it back up, and drivers side will not lock with key, have to leave window cracked and push down lock. It sounds like when I push down there is a motor in the lock, do there cars have electric locks, and if so where the heck is the button? Another question is with first gea, it feels really long and sljggish, but the subsequent gears feel fine, is that normal with these older bimmers? Finally, the light on my center console are not working, when I turn the lights on in the car only part of the console comes on, but the rest of the buttons stay dark, is there a light that can be changed so that it lights up again? ( its the lights behind hvac controls)
Thats it for now, I will posting some pics as soon as it gets warm enough to go outside, it is currently a balmy -6f here where I am at, so for the moment I will not be doing much work lest I freeze to death. If anyone has any advice on a good engine cleaner for these cars I would appreciate it, as it is running a little rough as is. Thanks for any help that you guys can give and I am excited to join this community!
Advertisement