View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
She is using an iTouch as her Aux input on the car for music. She has demonstrated to me several times that the volume from this device is, say, 25% lower than either the FM radio, Sat radio or in-dash CD player as she cycles through them seeking guidance from me. I turned the volume up all the way on the iTouch itself, but it is still quieter than any other inputs? I asked her to make sure the settings in iTunes for volume were up when syncing the iTouch and she says they are OK?
I just made a short video using a decibel meter (okay, it's a free app, but decibel meter sounds much more scientific ), my deactivated iPhone4 plugged into my car via USB, and "Sweet Home Alabama" (couldn't help myself ) to provide some precise data to figure out this problem.

All you have to do is download the free app (and "Sweet Home Alabama" if you haven't already ) and see if you get approximately the same decibel readings at the same parts of the songs.

Here are the numbers I got:

60 dB = car idling with the doors closed and music off

70 to 75 dB = normal listening volume (I know this is pretty variable, but tolerances must be made in this experiment of mine lol)

~ 95 dB = maxed out volume

For those of you who think this is dull and boring, I've posted a little something extra at the end of the video to add something worth watching after I waste a minute and 20 seconds with coarse video of a cheap app. Just skip ahead to 1:25 and you'll get to the good stuff

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/

Last edited by southern6er22; 01-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.