View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
The more I research the plug-in cars, the less impressed I am with them. The greatest down-side is the battery pack (number of discharge-recharge cycles for a lithium battery pack is around 750 - 1,000). Unless the manufacturer is giving a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery pack, the owner is going to be eating a big chunk of expense around the 80K to 90K mile point. If economy is the deciding criteria, I would go with a non-plug-in hybrid, especially if city driving is going to be a significant factor. Highway, I would stick with my d.

As regards the relative clean-ness of the battery manufacturing process, the issue has been debated ad nauseam over on priuschat.com.
I guess I'm always thinking in terms of leasing, not ownership. An associate at my office turned in his BMW lease and got a Volt. We have charging stations at our office. In several months of commuting he's purchased gas exactly once. No matter how you look at it, that's pretty cool. When his lease is up the battery becomes someone else's problem. Plus he gets to use the HOV and toll lanes!