View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
snip...

Untrue. At least the myth is getting better, most used to quote $8K+. A new OEM battery is $2,299, install cost takes it to about $3K IIRC. It's possible to recondition to original battery just swapping out the dead cells - that's obviously much less expensive. Many on the Prius forums have the original battery at 200K miles and have spent little or sometimes nothing on repairs. How many BMWs even last that long before being junked?

Any BMW owner who hates the Prius should check out the Prius 299,999+ mile club and prepare to weep http://priuschat.com/threads/299-999-mile-club.79235/ Some are nudging half a million miles (with few repairs!)

It would be fun to take out Prius to a track day and see how many I can pass in the beginner sessions. With TRD suspension it'd certainly be possible
What is dealership price on the battery pack replacement? A friend who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership mentioned that the replacement cost for a hybrid battery pack runs just under $5,000. I stopped in to pick them up for a Lunch meeting and a 2nd Gen Prius was in the shop with the whole back end opened up. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked what was the matter with the Prius. Battery pack replacement was the answer. My next question was how much and that was when I learned about the AT-PZEV coverage.

IMO playing games with replacing individual cells is venturing into voodoo land. Also can be hazardous to your health if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Toyota techs don't venture there; they just replace the old with new.

Edit: If memory serves, the TRD suspension consists of lowering springs and maybe shocks. Cross-wind problems are due to body roll when the wind hits the wide surface area of the side of the Prius. I suspect there is more side surface area to the Prius than the E90.... Anyhows, I have personal experience with curing cross-wind problems - a friend was complaining about the cross-wind problem with their 2nd Gen Prius. I suggested the suspension braces and wider tires (205 series) and after adding the bits (TOMS is one vendor), the car is steady with no buffeting in cross winds. Before the mods, in a good wind, the car would change lanes. I think you would do better with suspension braces and wider tires than lowered car in an autocross. If a rear sway bar was available, that would help as well.

Last edited by anE934fun; 01-06-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: See Edit: