View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
What is dealership price on the battery pack replacement? A friend who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership mentioned that the replacement cost for a hybrid battery pack runs just under $5,000.

IMO playing games with replacing individual cells is venturing into voodoo land. Also can be hazardous to your health if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Toyota techs don't venture there; they just replace the old with new.

Edit: If memory serves, the TRD suspension consists of lowering springs and maybe shocks. Cross-wind problems are due to body roll when the wind hits the wide surface area of the side of the Prius. I suspect there is more side surface area to the Prius than the E90.... Anyhows, I have personal experience with curing cross-wind problems - a friend was complaining about the cross-wind problem with their 2nd Gen Prius. I suggested the suspension braces and wider tires (205 series) and after adding the bits (TOMS is one vendor), the car is steady with no buffeting in cross winds. Before the mods, in a good wind, the car would change lanes. I think you would do better with suspension braces and wider tires than lowered car in an autocross. If a rear sway bar was available, that would help as well.

Your buddy was taken to the cleaners, he is a perfect candidate for used BMW ownership with dealership maintenance

A quick search shows was one owner quoted $3,400 for main dealer replacement. By ~150K miles even at $3,400 the battery has long been paid for. My commute mpg in the E93 is 14->18 mpg; it's 36->41 in the Prius, it get ~48->58 in regular use.

This is a DIY which forum members say takes about four hours:
http://www.priusrebuilders.com/how_t...hybrid_battery

Swapping cells means ~$400->800 when paying someone else to do it. A BMW dealer charges $480 to change a basic 12V battery Plenty have swapped cells, it's not vodoo but of course a main dealer is not going to mess around; they want a high profit total swap which requires almost zero skill from mechanics.

Cross winds are likely mainly due to aerodynamics but your suggestions should make it less likely to move. Its not that bad, way better than panel vans I've driven (Father had a grocery store in the UK so I drove them pretty often). Car and Driver says "It tracks better and is less susceptible to crosswinds than the Insight".

This summer I aim to do a cross country trip in the Prius towing a popup camper (~1,100 lbs); they are versatile cars. One guy uses his to ship motorcycles around the country and makes far more profit than his competitors thanks to his fuel savings. http://jalopnik.com/5905722/meet-the...s-with-a-prius

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.