Thread: BMW U.S. Sales
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Actually M-B have made it very public that they want to be the "sales leaders" straight from Dr. Z's mouth (very unbecoming statement from the CEO of a historic brand to basically make it look like he's admitting they've fallen behind and will go through desperate measures to "get back" / I wish M-B can at least maintain the *image* that they're too elite and premium to care about mass sales "crowns"). Also, I read somewhere that in order to get closer to their competitors profit margins Daimler will employ cost cutting measures across the board.... we all know how well that turned out last time.
Interesting. Was not aware that Dr.Z said this. MB still has the prestige that no other brand (in its class) can match. Cost cutting will ruin them once again.

Quote:
Based on my observations, M-B is at a tough spot and it seems like they're getting desperate in some ways, by making these statements whilst their market share gets battered worldwide, and while their new designs are just looking more and more at odd and confused, IMO.

M-B is about to release more FWD lower priced "mover" cars in the U.S so it looks like they're gonna keep expanding in the lower segment areas to try and meet their "statement".
Can't really fault MB for this. BMW and Audi are increasingly going downmarket also. As long as all of their top tier cars remain good, I don't see issues with letting younger buyers into the brand. Helps build brand loyalty also.

I think MB should just stay back and let BMW/Audi battle it out for the sales crown. It's not like Mercedes is not staying relevant. It's Mercedes-Benz! For decades, Mercedes was the leader in quality and engineering. They lost it in the Chrysler-era and are slowly gaining it back. Seeking volume only ruins this. (Just ask GM, etc).