View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
So grey, it sounds like the kit provided some nice improvement everywhere, except the area I was hoping it would fix the most.

Aside from tip-in not really getting addressed while in D, I'm curious to find out how you feel about the advertised HP gains from this kit. I've enjoyed the need-more-HP bug for some time, and the one thing I've leared is that HP isn't cheap. If it is, then something is wrong. HP, reliability, and cost... pick two of the three. This kit advertises some pretty remarkable gains, especially for the price; so naturally I'm taking that with a HUGE grain of salt. I had planned to pick this kit up, if for nothing else than to fix the throttle lag, but if there is actually a noticeable increase in power, for example if BMW REALLY left that much HP on the table by not tuning it like BMS just did, then i might go for it anyway. It's just that when I see items that run $10-$15 per HP offered, I am very skeptical.

I'm glad the initial review was favorable!
The seat-of-the-pants gains from the unit are substantial, although to realize the max (60) HP increase advertised on the site you need to run high octane and a more aggressive map. The standard map is definitely enough to get your attention. Keep in mind that BMW developed and raced a 2L inline 4 cylinder F1 engine that produced 800 hp. I think they know a bit about small displacement potential! The little BMS unit definitely delivers in the HP/$ ratio. My other car is running an aftermarket supercharger, fuel mods, plus headers at the tune of $3000 or so, and the gains are MAYBE 100 HP (although more like 70). So at best, $30/HP, but probably more like $40-$45/HP.

In so far as the hesitation is concerned, I need to drive the car a bit more to really get a feel for whether the tip in has improved ... The fact that it has been bothering me so much recently, coupled with an email from Terry Burger that the throttle lag issue was addressed, really set me up for disappointment that it wasn't entirely eliminated with the tune. I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to it now or what, or if Terry only meant that it was addressed in DS. The nice thing is that the unit is reprogrammable. If enough of us provide feedback to BMS, maybe they would offer a more aggressive D-map? I don't know...