Thread: Burning oil?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMW View Post
I bought an 08 550i in July and got a minimum oil level warning a month later. I added a quart of oil and just got the same warning again yesterday. I had the car into the dealership to fix a motor on the seat and they did a full inspection on the car and found no problems. Does anybody know if it's normal to have to add a quart every couple of months?
Hi Brian,

Congrats on your purchase of an awesome machine. The 8 cylinder models are beasts!

When you post, please try to give as much information as you can about your vehicle and situation so some of the more experienced readers can give you an opinion.

For example:
1. How many miles total do you have on the car?
2. How many miles have you driven since July? Have you changed the oil since you purchased it?
3. Do you know anything about the previous service done to the car? Specifically how often the oil was changed.
4. Have you noticed any leaks or had the front belly pan off to look underneath the engine and in the belly pan for stains?
5. You ask about adding a quart every couple of months but don't tell us how many miles you have driven or approximate hours the engine has been operated.