View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Exclamation 2006 325ci Engine Failure

Hi everyone,

Looking for a little help out there or advice from someone with a similar problem. I have a 2006 325ci (E46 coupe model, inline six, 5 speed std.) that had engine failure today. Earlier today I was driving to work and noticed a smell of smoke (no visable signs) that gradually got worse, eventually my car (aprx. 2 mins later) engine stopped as I was in 3rd gear going about 60km/hr (apr. 40m/hr) and as the engine quit, a large cloud of white smoke came from the exhaust. I pulled it over and had to get it towed to my mechanic.

In addition, or a little further background, the distinct smell was like a burning oil. At first I thought nothing of it thinking it was a old transport truck or an old diesel pickup, then noticed the problem was my car when it happen so quickly and shut off! The outside temperature was about -2 degrees C, 30 degrees F. Car has 110 XXX KMS (aprx. 70XXX miles) Car has been using recommended Castrol Synthetic Oil and was only changed last month with low milage put on since. Had not been leaking oil and antifreeze levels seemed to be okay. Engine temperatures had been fine, battery still works strong. Essentially the car was working perfect and there was no indication of declined performance.

I've been reading these forums and seeing gasket and cooling as being common problems. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there with a similar senario and find out exactly what they did / had to pay to get this kind of issue fixed.

Could this lead to an engine replacement and if so, what are my best options? I live in St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada)

-greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325ci.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	356550  
Ads by Google