View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Very interesting question. I haven't seen the 745i underneath to compare the two. You would think that with the motors being the same there wouldn't be any drastic differences. I'll check realoem to see if it is a different belt.

And I have often wondered how the 745i alternator fits into the larger engine bay so the oil cooler can be accommodated. That stupid profile gasket under the alternator bracket on the 545i has bruised many a knuckle. I guess they didn't want to change the block casting tool so it could do double duty for both the 545i and 745i, but a solid plug in the 545i block in place of that profile gasket sure would have been nice.
When I had that stupid alternator gasket replace on my 545 the mechanic told me that if it was a745 he wouldn't have to remove the sub frame, cause theres a lot more space , and he had a 745 on a rack , and it's more roomy in the engine compartment . And funny u mention putting a solid plug, cause I thought about actually welding a plate on that useless hole,and seal it up for good,,,