View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
When I had that stupid alternator gasket replace on my 545 the mechanic told me that if it was a745 he wouldn't have to remove the sub frame, cause theres a lot more space , and he had a 745 on a rack , and it's more roomy in the engine compartment . And funny u mention putting a solid plug, cause I thought about actually welding a plate on that useless hole,and seal it up for good,,,
Yeah, the N62 engine is ten pounds in an eight pound bag in the E60 engine compartment.

I was referring to a core plug (a hole in the block designed to remove sand during the casting process and plugged with a round plug during engine assembly). All core plugs I have seen are round and once the plug is pounded into the block the pressure of the dome shape in the round plug prevents it from coming out.

Given the unusual "T" shape of the hole in the BMW engine a core plug might not be feasible. But it is likely that BMW could have come up with some type of more permanent solution had they tried a little harder.