View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
My 05/545 came with anti roll stabilization and its a hydraulic sway bar that is computer controlled to keep the car level when hitting the corners hard,
+1

1. The sport package was as good as it gets for 2006. I have a 2004 545i with the sport package and it is amazing how this large, relatively heavy car takes the corners. And of course as you already know the 8 cylinder power is totally addictive.

The front stabilizer bar is split in half with a torsional valve in between. As the car's computer receives input from level sensors in the car it pressurizes the valve to twist the sway bar, forcing the suspension down on the side of the car (on the outside of a curve) that wants to raise. I have seen my car put through the ARS system test at the dealer and the car appears to be possessed.
Here is a link to a video of the ARS test being run:

If you are interested in the details the resource I have attached (BMW Chassis Control Systems) is good for telling you everything you might want to know about BMW overall chassis control and the dynamic drive/ARS system in particular. The section covering the active roll stabilization starts on page 207 of the PDF.

Every time I read through this I am amazed at how complicated the E60 is and wonder how all of this equipment continues to run correctly.

2. The F10 chassis has become even more sophisticated, especially the rear suspension which controls the camber dynamically (thus avoiding the excessive inner tread wear on tires). I have also attached an article regarding interviewing the suspension designer. The only negative feedback I keep hearing about the F10 is that the electronic steering that replaced the hydraulic system does not give the same feedback. But I cannot speak from experience as I have not driven an F10.