View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Be careful with the DISA. If the flap is relatively loose it either needs to be rebuilt with one of the kits that's been posted about recently or just get a new one. IF it's holding up well, I would just spray a little wd-40 on it or something similar and wipe down with paper towels. I've read some of the crud doesn't always come off as it has more or less bonded to the plastic. The flap should just rotate with some spring tension resistance and not much play otherwise.

Definitely clean the idle control valve - look for the diy. it's easy, much like cleaning the tb.

Honestly, if you're going to take out the throttle body, you're almost all the way to doing the CCV/oil separator and related hoses at the same time. will add an hour or two to the job but will save you a few hours on a CCV job since you've got all the intake tubes out and the TB and ICV. your car is pretty much due for it if it hasn't already been done. Anything more than light oil residue in the intake might indicate your CCV is starting to clog and send more oil-laden vapor into the intake.

I have 85k miles on mine and am planning to soon replace the CCV along with cleaning the ICV and TB. I'm also going to replace the oil filter housing gasket since it's somewhat in the area as well. I have a supercharger so it's more hassle to take that out and the intake tubing to get to all this stuff so I'll be working on the car for a full day to get all this done. It's a mid-life refresh in my opinion so I don't plan on having to do it again in the lifetime of the car, i.e. 150k miles or more.