Thread: BMW U.S. Sales
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yes, VW had tons of surplus cash to throw around to build a factory (and they've started in Mexico), but VW doesn't directly control Audi, like GM does with Cadillac or Honda does with Acura. All of the brands under the VAG umbrella have their own upper management and board. Not a centralized one like GM. This basically means that VW doesn't have too much say in Audi (or Porsche), they run themselves.

Of course, ultimately, big projects like a factory have to be green lighted by the central VAG management.
Very healthy discussion. I like when boards are kind and friendly and debates are interesting. I do think VW has a bigger influence than you think though. Sure, they operate independently to ensure that the brands appear to be separate and distinguished (like when Chrysler owned MB). But as with GM, VW and Audi's share the same platforms. The Passatt is the A6, the Toureg is the Q7 (and Cayneene). They like to make you think it's all separate P&L's, but at the end of the day, I wrote my checks to VW Financial for my Q7. If VW wanted Audi to saturate the US Audi inventory, they would bend over and take it as an order.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li