View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
If I bought a 760i I think I would buy the warranty too.. You got lucky needing the transmission.. That and the wheephole job is probably most of the work, but unless there is ALOT more, I don't see 45k worth of work there.. 45k worth of work on any car is pretty bad!
Trans Replacement & Loaner Car ->14K
Weep Hole Repair & Loaner Car -> 10K
Nav Screen Replacement & Loaner Car -> 5K
Nav Drive Replacement, DVD changer replacement, Video Module and Trunk Hydraulics (leak caused all the electronics to malfunction -> 7K

^ thats 36K worth of repairs right there. Add in all the misc transmission repairs I've had, the Audio system repairs, self leveling suspension, fuel tank sensors, etc and you get the rest.

Plus if the HPFP fail, I'm covered and the warranty company will pay 6-7K for a repar and loaner car.

As far s the transmission goes, it started shifting rough around 45K and then started going downhill. They replaced the guibo joint, a couple of sensors, the sealing sleeve, the urban trans update, replaced the pan and fluid, etc. Finally one day at around 70K miles while in bumper to bumper traffic it gave out. The trans would NOT move the car at all and would shift into neutral. Restarted the car and managed to pull into a parking lot and then as I pulled into the space it put itself into neutral. Had it towed to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong and the car drove PERFECTLY. I got it back and 2 weeks later the same happened. I recorded a video of it and gave it to my service advisor when I got the car towed again. The dealership replaced a pressure sensor that COULD have been the issue (warranty covered this and the prior event), and I took the car back. 1 week later I'm stuck in traffic going up a slight hill. Well as soon as it starts moving I press the gas pedal and the car shudders and then moves. As soon as I get to around 20 MPH I hear this GOD AWFUL grinding sounds and then the car starts slowing down. Then when I'm at around 10MPH, the car threw itself INTO PARK and came to a GRINDING halt. Had the car towed to dealer where the warranty company & dealer decided to stop the band-aid fixes and to replace the whole transmission.

I'm thinking mine failed a lot sooner than most of the 745/750 guys because of the added HP and Torque. After all it's the same transmission as those guys.

Last edited by csmeance; 01-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.