View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: e39 540 sport
Broken leg on e39 540

So basically today I almost cried. I got my license 2 weeks ago. Went on a week vacation then came back. This was the first day it was not raining. In California (where I live) you have to hold a permit before your license for 6 months and your parents have to go everywhere with you. Finally without the backseat driving I could enjoy my dads old 2000 540ia. (Btw he got a 2013 550 msport). I was coming home from school and there is a road with a big steep sweeping chicane (left then right it's kinda like a mirror of the corkscrew at Laguna seca). It's a great corner. I've enjoyed it many times in the passenger seat of my dads old 1987 Porsche 944s. But I figured I've never been around it quickly. Today that changed. I put it in second. Came around about 45 50ish with a little bit of tire squeal. I was about to hit the straight right after it when I see a deer! A freaking deer darts right out in front of me. Instinctively I slam the wheel to the right. The back steps out to the left. Then with a curb right next to me I throw the wheel back to the left to correct it. I way over do it and it swings violently back to the right. I'm now going backwards at full right hand lock. I know there is a curb there. I slam on the brakes. And I hit the curb sideways about 10 15 mph. Facing the wrong way. Just curious what parts need replacing and then how much labor will be. I know obviously a shop will do it but my dad doesnt get home for a couple days and he wants to take it himself. I just want to know what I have to pay. I accept responsibility for it. I should not have been going double the speed limit with the traction control off around a blind corner. I now have a lot more respect for cars and for the uNexpected. Also any tips on getting back in the saddle? I'm not going to lie it terrified me. Anyways sorry this was a whole sob story. All I need it guesses on prices and hours. I know for sure I need 2 new wheels. (Style 66) and probably new control arms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	356796