View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
I cannot speak to the small diesels in our X's but large industrial diesels benefit from hard running occasionally to "clear" (so to speak) soot conglomeration in certain areas which also causes excessive heat build up where soot build up is extreme. Soot particularly likes sharp bends and large-to-small openings.

Fords EGR coolers were a poorly designed, stamped steel cooler with crimped flanges....they are destined to fail when purchased. Some of the high-performance shops carry a much better cooler.

Cummins and Detroit have both had extreme issues with coolers although these engines are designed and typically geared to minimize soot. Their death is normally attributed to excessive engine idling which, again, leads to excessive soot.

The DPF regeneration is also tough on ANY EGR system though due to the extreme temperatures. I do not know what temps ours reach on regen's but a typical Class 8 regen generates approximately 1200'F exhaust temps. (allow me to clarify...it's not the regen heat that is directly going through the EGR system but it gradually heats the exhaust stream flowing through the engine because of additional back pressure)

We have only had ours less that 1k miles but so far has been GREAT!

Thanks for the info on fumes and I will clue my wife in on your post....thanks!

Last edited by Fleetman; 01-09-2013 at 07:02 AM.