Thread: Tire Pressure
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
I just re-read the thread linked by roadsta. Although the manual has a section on FTM, our cars are equipped with the more advanced TPMS (also described in the manual). As stated, FTM looks for a difference in rotational speed of the tires. This is accomplished via the ABS speed sensors and therefore, FTM systems do not require pressure sensors mounted in the wheels. My E39 M5 had this system.

TPMS use pressure sensors mounted in the wheels that can read actual pressure - and in our case temperature as well. Unfortunately, US 6ers are not coded to display the pressure and temperature (although this can be changed). Both systems require reset after changing pressure, but not if you are only bringing one tire back to nominal (although it doesn't hurt).

For what it's worth, my M3 had TPMS which only provided low pressure warnings (like the US 6ers). One day, after a scheduled oil change and SW update, the car could display actual tire pressure, by corner. I will never understand why BMW codes things like this differently in different regions - and then changes its mind. There is nothing regulatory about providing actual PSI readings in a TPMS equipped vehicle. It pisses me off.

I would probably do the coding thing if I used a PC. I don't think the software works on a Mac. The IT schmoes at work have my work laptop all locked up. I can't install anything on it.

Last edited by Bönz; 01-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.