View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
LOL!! I didn't even think to turn your picture 90 degrees! I thought you took a picture of debris on the roadside!

The damage does not look as bad as described but the only way to tell is, as Doru says, to have it checked on an alignment machine. It may require new wheels if they were severely damaged. For the front, you only need to repair the side that was hit. For the rear, you may want to do both sides. Which end hit first (the initial impact is usually greater)? If the rear, the bigger concern would be damage to the driveline half shaft and possibly differential. Again, only a pro can tell you how bad.

Do you know how to wrench? Replacing a control arm is pretty easy. A thrust arm is a bit trickier. Tie rod replacement is fairly straightforward too. Replacing the struts is a bit more work. Can't really speak about the rears as I haven't done them yet. Bottom line, parts are relatively cheap. It's the labor that costs a lot.

As to getting back in the saddle, $hit happens. We have all hit things. The only thing to remember is to drive under control at reasonable speeds. Reasonable is determined by the your abilities, the car and road conditions. 36 years ago, I spun my Kharman Ghia (darn that rear engine oversteer!) on the highway doing 55 on a straight highway under snowy conditions. Turns out reasonable was 45 mph, not 55 mph. You live and learn. The fact that you have accepted full responsibilioty for your actions displays a maturity you don't often see among younger drivers, especially on these forums. Good luck.