View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
No

Get past the optics... I have one local tire shop I've used for many years. I am one of their 1%, in that they treat me and my cars really well. OK prices, sometimes they match tirerack, sometimes not, sometimes I bring in my own tires and they mount.

But on the specifics of 'finding the store to use the first time', I'd just stop by a few and see what vibe you get. Talk to a MANAGER, tell them you want specific settings and would like to be able to watch- perhaps from the open garage door if 'insurance' is an issue. The key will be not sounding like a BMW-hole, but sounding like an enthusiast who is looking for a more careful alignment. (I am always in jeans, T shirt, etc... doing my best Zelig...) Then time the guy doing the alignment 10-20 if he is nice, get his name, and come back the next time.

My 2 cents

A
Agree, first time I went to this shop that had high recomendations on Tire rack was for my
cupped Michelins at 16k, they rotated and roadforced balanced the tires at no charge , so for that they gained a customer and yes they allowed me back in the shop to speak with the tech doing the work, tech even started speaking about how radical some of the camber settings he has seen on other BMW's, all in all a good experience, no vibration, no pulling, a perfectly straight steering wheel.