01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
Join Date: Jan 2011
Mein Auto: X3
J -- I have a different take.
Originally Posted by jdauria
1) how many miles?
2) go to a different stealership (I wouldnt go to any of them)
3) coolant sensor?
4) Depending on mileage, if high I think you need a cooling system overhaul
I am willing to bet this is a very low milage x3 since it is still under warranty....maybe in the 20k mile range.
With that said, it isn't a cooling system that needs to be refreshed or a sending unit that is bad...although a slight expansion tank leak is a possibility. This is a post lci n52 motor...a simple proactive full refresh isn't really cost effective.
I actually am siding with a different answer...mostly based on assumed low miles....
Low coolant at around 20k miles is extremely common. Heck motor trend even reported it on their long term test of the 11:
I even had the same issue right at about 25k miles. The expansion tank was nearly empty. Filled it up, now at 107k never had another issue. What happens is the cooling system gets slightly bigger as the hoses expand and then some evaporates out.
Now with the above said here is what I would do:
1) find a trusted Indy shop and pay the $150 - $200 to have the car fully inspected to find any Warranty issues that need to be fixed before it expires...they will know what they are.
2) take that list to another BMW dealer and have them fix them
3) enjoy your x3! It is a great car that will last a long time with proper maintenance.
Last edited by x3brian; 01-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.