View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
J -- I have a different take.

I am willing to bet this is a very low milage x3 since it is still under warranty....maybe in the 20k mile range.

With that said, it isn't a cooling system that needs to be refreshed or a sending unit that is bad...although a slight expansion tank leak is a possibility. This is a post lci n52 motor...a simple proactive full refresh isn't really cost effective.

I actually am siding with a different answer...mostly based on assumed low miles....

Low coolant at around 20k miles is extremely common. Heck motor trend even reported it on their long term test of the 11:

I even had the same issue right at about 25k miles. The expansion tank was nearly empty. Filled it up, now at 107k never had another issue. What happens is the cooling system gets slightly bigger as the hoses expand and then some evaporates out.

Now with the above said here is what I would do:

1) find a trusted Indy shop and pay the $150 - $200 to have the car fully inspected to find any Warranty issues that need to be fixed before it expires...they will know what they are.

2) take that list to another BMW dealer and have them fix them

3) enjoy your x3! It is a great car that will last a long time with proper maintenance.
thats good information brian. did know that since I don't have a 07+ x3.

So basically draining coolant, filling it back up, bleeding correctly should fix the problem?
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers - July'14
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |