View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
I live in Redmond, so I got this one...

It snows maybe 2-3 times a year here, sometimes more, sometimes less. It is very hilly here, however, so if you intend to drive in the snow at all, you better keep those wheels and winter tires. Since you already own them, why not keep them? I need my car for work, so I have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, plus chains just in case. I don't get stuck. Period. But I only need them for a week or 2 every year. The rest of the time, summer tires will work great. I run Dunlop Star Spec summer tires and they've been great, even in the rain. Summer tires will outperform so-called All Seasons even in the cold and wet.

Occasionally we'll have a blizzard that will really shut the roads down. Unlike the Midwest, we don't have a lot of snow removal/salt/sand equipment here because the need is not great enough to justify the expense, so when it snows it takes much longer for the roads to be cleared. Plus, everyone freaks out, and the collective IQ average goes down 30 points and everyone starts driving like complete idiots (stopping in the middle of uphill climbs, etc.).

If you're working in Redmond, may I suggest moving to Bellevue or Kirkland? Both are upscale and reasonably hip, and are on the same side of Lake Washington as Redmond. Do not underestimate the hassle of having to cross the lake 2x per day. It'll be hours out of your life you could be spending doing other things. PM me if you want more thoughts on living in the area, schools, neighborhoods, etc.

Last edited by Fishful Thinking; 01-09-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added info