Thread: New joiner
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormsray View Post
Just joined the site. There seems to be a big stateside presence (I'm UK based) but I like the posts I've seen so far - very informative. I am new to BMW - bought a 2008 520d 6 months ago. This is a wicked car and out-classes the Volvo and Audi company cars I had for the past several years. As I am retiring this year, I have taken cash in lieu of car and so far, have no regrets at all at buying the Beamer. I am becoming accustomed to prudent use of the BMW dealerships - for example, I had a parking light bulb replaced today. I was quoted 40 ($60) by the local dealership. Instead, I went to Halfords, who charged 10. I can't see how the dealership could have given better service and the parts are Unipart, guaranteed. I will probably still use the dealership for main service but for bulbs, tyres, and oil, I shall be selective.
^ That's good thinking off the bat. You want the dealer to their job on the car they specialize in, but the little things can be dealt with by amateurs.

Welcome to the 'fest, and happy retirement. I hope I get there some day, way too old to be working as hard as I do.