View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The IDrive screen in the F30 may look like an "afterthought" to some people" but looking like an afterthought and actually being an afterthought are two very different things. Since the F30 interior was a new design and since BMW had been putting iDrive screens in cars for many years I think it is rather obvious that iDrive was going to be an integral part of the design of the interior and the interior was designed with the iDrive screen in mind. I personally am not that crazy about it but it certainly would not be a deal breaker.

As for being more in the line of the drivers sight than the screen on the E90 I think that is irrelevant. If you are looking at the screen you are not looking at the road ahead and the 1 or 2 inches higher that the screen in the E90 is mounted does not change that fact. You can easily demonstrate this easily with a simple experiment. Sit about 25 feet from your television and then hold a laptop computer at arms length and focus on the computer screen. You will not Br able to see what is going on on the television without looking up and refocusing. You will find that holding the laptop a few inches higher or lower makes no difference. There will be no position where you will be able to focus on the TV (i.e. the road ahead) and the laptop screen (i.e. iDrive) at the same time.
Well captain, while I agree with the result of your experiment, after trying it myself, I must say it has a lot to do with our advanced aging process. The outcome could be different for a guy/gal 20 years junior.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.